Application Deadline Decision Notification
Round 1 October 1, 2014 December 10, 2014
Round 2 January 7, 2015 March 25, 2015
Round 3 April 1, 2015 May 6, 2015
Essay Questions for the Class of 2017
We request that you write two personal essays. The personal essays give us glimpses of your character and hopes. In each essay, we want to hear your genuine voice. Think carefully about your values, passions, aims, and dreams prior to writing them.
Essay A: What matters most to you, and why?
A strong response to this question will:
- Focus on the “why” rather than the “what.”
- Reflect the self-examination process you used to write your response.
- Genuinely illustrate who you are and how you came to be the person you are.
- Share the insights, experiences, and lessons that shaped your perspectives, rather than focusing merely on what you’ve done or accomplished.
- Be written from the heart, and illustrate how a person, situation, or event has influenced you.
Essay B: Why Stanford?
Enlighten us on how earning your MBA at Stanford will enable you to realize your ambitions.
A strong response to this essay question will:
- Explain your decision to pursue graduate education in management.
- Explain the distinctive opportunities you will pursue at Stanford.
Your answers for both essay questions combined may not exceed 1,100 words. Below are suggested word counts per essay, but you should allocate the maximum word count in the way that is most effective for you.
Essay A 650-850
Essay B 250-450
- 12 pt. font size
- Double spaced
- Recommended font types: Arial, Courier, or Times New Roman
- Indicate the question you are answering at the beginning of each essay (does not count toward the word limit)
- Number all pages
- Upload one document that includes both essays
- How do the candidate’s performance, potential, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples.
- Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant’s response.
- A maximum of three pages
- Double spaced
- Formatted using 12-point font (Arial, Courier, and Times New Roman font recommended)